Over the last three months, I’ve been working like a fiend trying to get my new brand building company off the ground.
In addition to the Resort Lifestyle Network that I manage, I had been providing consulting services on the side to generate additional revenue. However, with more business coming in than I could manage, I decided to turn my ‘side gig’ into something more.
And thus my new online marketing company, Hammond Media Group, was born.
It’s possible to realize your dream. Just taking the first step is all it takes. Before you know it, you’ll have your very own business up and running.
Here’s a list of the 50 or so tasks that were completed in 90 days. There is still a lot to do, but this is a great start. Use these tasks as a checklist. Use them as motivation. Use them for ideas. Just do one of the tasks each day, and in three months time, you’ll be that much closer to living your dream.
I’ve included links where appropriate to make it even easier for you to get started.
Ready, Set, Go!
- Decided on a business name (and did a trademark search)
- Checked for availability, then ordered Domain Names via my host provider, Bluehost (purchase both singular and plural versions, where applicable)
- Created a business logo via 99 Designs
- Set up a Basecamp account (Project Management)
- Set up a Highrise account (Customer Relationship Management)
- Created a PayPal account
- Created a Google Checkout account
- Set up a FreshBooks account (Accounting / Invoicing)
- Secured an EIN / Federal Tax ID number
- Ordered Business Cards via VistaPrint
- Set up Phone Number via Google Voice (free)
- Set up home office
- Took advantage of online business learning via Lynda.com
- Recruited freelancers from UpWork to be part of my team
- Used Legal Zoom to draft the LLC docs
- Ordered branded coffee mugs and notepads for the office (VistaPrint)
- Registered and validated my business on Google Places
- Set up a Google AdWords account
- Set up email aliases and multiple email accounts (via Bluehost)
- Chose a WordPress theme
- Customized the design and wrote the content
- Created the website graphics
- Installed an Akismet API Key for spam
- Downloaded and set up WordPress plugins to enhance the site
- Integrated Email Sign Up from MailChimp for List Building
- Set up Google Analytics
- Created an Editorial Calendar
- Backed up the database for safeguard, including UpDraft Plus backups
- Gathered testimonials
- Created case studies (based on work examples)
- Developed a Services Q&A
- Embedded social media links (follow and share) on website and in email signature
- Created a Facebook Page
- Integrated MailChimp sign up form into Facebook page for list building (view sign up form on FB)
- Created a Google+ Page
- Created a Twitter account
- Set up Twitter lists (clients, vendors, bloggers, etc.) to monitor conversations and manage news feed for resort sites and Hammond Media Group
- Created a Hootsuite account to monitor twitter conversations
- Created a Vimeo Channel for videos
- Created a LinkedIn account for professional networking
- Created a MailChimp account for email marketing / list building
- Created a SlideShare account for presentations
- Attended Entrepreneur and Tech MeetUps to network and promote new biz
- Ordered business cards, thank you notes and other printed marketing materials from VistaPrint
- Set up email Auto-Responders based on different target audiences (huge time-saver for lead generation; learn more about the benefits of email automation)
- Completed pro-Bono work for a worthwhile charity
- Joined local area Chamber of Commerce organizations to network / generate new business opportunities
- Completed a website audit for a client
- Set up an editorial calendar for a client
- Completed two major proposals totaling approximately 30k in revenue
- Worked out preferred partnership arrangements with two vendors
Get the latest tips and tools!